If one knows how to clean out a gutter, there will be fewer injuries and deaths and less property damage.
According to a gutter cleaner expert, Robert Lenney," Cleaning out the gutter is pretty easy as long as you know what you are doing."
This is the time of the year when gutters cleaning and power washing service are at their peak for the rainy and snowy season. If the rainwater doesn't flow through the gutter, costly repairs can get added to rainwater damage.
There are various clean gutter service tips you need to take care of. Today, in this article, let us discuss the 10 major safety things you should remember when cleaning a gutter.
It is time to clean out the clogged gutters and let's do it safely.
Here are 10 gutter cleaning tips for you and your safety :
1. Clean Your Roof- Firstly, try to wash all debris from your roof. Otherwise, all the rain will pass all the debris into the clean gutter, clogging it up.
Moreover, debris left on the roof can lead to water damming in valleys, around the chimney, or near air conditioning equipment, which can cause roof leaks after some time. roof pressure washing can help to increase the life of roof gutters.
2. Buy a Gutter Scoop - A gutter scoop is a plastic, thin scooping tool. Scooping out the leafy debris is the best method for cleaning our gutters.
The edge is thin, forming at the bottom of the gutter, making it easy to scoop out even the hardest debris in any size gutter system.
Make sure not to use metal scooping tools because the bottom of the gutter can be damaged and scratched.
3. Use a Garden Hose - You can use a garden hose with a pistol grip trigger nozzle. This nozzle will allow you to adjust the water pressure using one hand.
On the other hand, you can use a leaf blower for dry leaves. Use a leaf blower at your own risk. Be sure to have an extra sturdy ladder and someone on the ground to take care of.
4. Protect Your Hands - Gloves can protect your hands from dirt and rotten leaves that contain bird, pigeon, and squirrel droppings that come with bacteria. Also, gloves can prevent cuts from the torn metal shard of an old gutter.
It is advisable not to use cotton gloves that soak up the water, exposing the skin to some bacteria.
Rubber gloves can get poked up by the metal shards in the gutter, which is, again, unsafe. A thick and suede glove is recommended because it is superior to cotton and rubber gloves.
5. Save Your Eyes: When cleaning a gutter, make sure to save your eyes because no one knows what might fly out of it.
People have experienced rats, bugs, birds, frogs, and bees leaving at high speed once a clog removes, and an eye injury is the last thing you want.
6. Consider Rubber Shoes - If walking is necessary when cleaning a gutter, consider buying a pair of rubber shoes.
Rubber shoes prevent slip-and-fail incidents. Rooftops get moist in the early morning, so it is best to walk when the sun is up with rubber shoes.
7. Unclog the Downspouts - Just make sure the downspouts are clean. After all the gutters are cleaned out, start the water hose on the downspouts at high intensity.
The clog is there if the water backs up at the spot. Now, the downspout needs to be removed, and it should be flushed from the bottom.
8. Be Careful About Power Line Hazards - When cleaning the gutter around the power line, inspect the electric cable where it connects to the roof. If the cable needs repairing, do not try to repair it.
Instead, call a professional electrical contractor to fix it. Whether it is raining or not, it is a good idea to call an expert wiring repair guy before cleaning out gutters.
9. Invest in Gutter Guards - Using a quality gutter guard can eliminate the need to clean the gutter. Consider the manufacturer's claims carefully before purchasing gutter guards that keep the leaves out because many fake promises are made that cannot be delivered well.
10. Schedule Semiannual Cleanings - Make sure your gutters are cleaned twice a year, once in the fall and then in spring. The main goal of cleaning out the drain is to eliminate the possibility of water damage from rainwater due to a clogged gutter.
And the other reason is rust corrosion. It becomes challenging to speed up with clean gutters. The faster the rusting, the sooner new channels will be needed.
Ultimately, we can say that if you are tired of cleaning gutters or cannot seem to put up with them, no matter how often you clean them, consider gutter cleaning and repair services nearby.
You can call Under pressure power washing and hire them for gutter cleaning services at the best price.
We understand cleaning a gutter is time-consuming, dirty, and sometimes intimidating. You don't need to worry about that when we are here for you. Our professionals will clean your gutter properly and thoroughly.